Thursday 20 September 2018

Book Review: Sniper's Eye

Book: Sniper's Eye
Author: Mainak Dhar
Publisher: 4 Hour Books
Genre: Fiction | Thriller
Pages: 224
Price: 299 INR

Blurb

I was out on a date. Everything was perfect… Till that shot… a high-calibre one, no apparent sound. And, the man in front of me fell. A rifle with a suppressor? A sniper in the middle of a Mumbai mall? As the body count mounted, I was soon sucked deeper into the chaos unleashed by that shot. To survive and save those whom I care about, I have to become the man I left behind. I have no choice but to tap into a bloody past that has put me on the terror kill list. I may also have no option but to join hands with the sniper terrorising Mumbai. The problem is that the man has sworn to kill me. In a world where the young and poor kill and die in conflicts started by the old and rich, I and my unlikely companion finally discover the thin line that separates a mere killer from a hero. This is our story…

A fast-paced thriller that you can read on a lazy weekend

Sniper's Eye by Mainak Dhar is a fast-paced thriller set in Mumbai. The action thriller throws light on various important issues that you normally don't think about. The life of soldiers in the arms who are exploited by powerful people is shown through the messed up life of Aaditya. The reasons why some people are compelled to become terrorists despite having other plans is shown through the life of the sniper, Aman Karzai. 

The story begins with the protagonist of the book, Aaditya who is on a date with his girlfriend Zoya in a mall in Mumbai. A man falls dead in front of his eyes, killed by a sniper. This incident compels Aaditya to go back to his old life from which he was hiding for years. Now, he has to face his demons and deal with it. 

I loved the scenes between Aaditya and Zoya. Despite knowing Aaditya's past, the way Zoya supports him is very heart touching. The love story of Aaditya and Zoya was a whiff of fragrance in the midst of the serious action-driven plot. The book picks up momentum after 100 pages when it becomes unputdownable. Readers cannot wait to find out who is the mastermind behind the devious plot and the revelation will definitely shock readers. 

Things are not as they seem. The plotline of the book is intelligent and gripping. It establishes the fact that you cannot judge the book by its cover. The epilogue of the book left me a tad emotional. I liked the way the author evoked sympathy for Aman. 

The book is sprinkled with twists and turns. The language is lucid and the narration is fast-paced. On the flip-side, there were some typos in the book. I also felt there were some loose ends. If you love reading thrillers, you should give it a read. I am going with 4 stars. 




The book review is in association with Vinfluencers. Check out the video review on my YouTube Channel.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear your thoughts on the post!